Friday, December 8, 2017

Jack Sparrow


Ahhh. And here we are at last, Jack Sparrow. I got to see the Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time just before I started on this one. I think I got within the range similarity where yes, there are a few things not just like the original, but yeah, this is close enough to look like Johnny Depp in his costume. 

His nose was an absolute headache at the time. I spent about a third of eternity staring at his face trying to decide what made it look so different from the photo (I printed a photo of him and taped it on the back of the page before in my sketch book to draw from. It really made the whole thing much more convenient because I didn't have to pull out my lap top every time I wanted to draw. Without that I would only work on it at home because it was so much trouble.) And then after a third of eternity of staring and occasionally messing with small details it dawned on me! His nose is about a millimeter short! I then began redrawing his nose and realized that that was really not an issue, but the angular nature of his nostrils was really corrected in a way that showed he isn't facing you directly but turned slightly to his right.

There was a small scar on his right cheek but I didn't like it, so as the sole dictator of my pencil marks, I omitted it.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Gary, your attention to detail and your patience in your work enhances the quality so much. Professional. I also love your words about why and how you go about it. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It is really good! And I smiled at your description of the time it took. Time does have an eternal quality to it. Kudos for your perseverance! Love you, Tia Sandra.

    ReplyDelete